Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Here in Manitoba

Well, I arrived in Manitoba a little late today, due to a de-icing delay at the airport, but that is about the only hickup that I've had to face. This day has been really fun and enjoyable.
My friend Jacob picked me up and I'm staying and we're staying at his parents place in Steinbach while we represent World Team at Providence College, Steinbach Bible College, and Manitoba Mission Fest.
A few hours ago we had the priviledge to attend a CMC Missions board meeting. Jacob gave a field report and introduced me to the board members. I gave a short presentation about the media ministry that Steph and I will be doing with World Team. It was really overwhelming to interact with a great group of wise and humble men who love Jesus and want to help with the proclaimation of the gospel. I can't sum up the experience into words at the moment (it would take to long and I'm pretty tired) but all I can say is that this trip would be worth it just to be able to get to know Jacob a little more and talk with these guys, hear their words of wisdom, encouragement and love for Christ.

I just wanted to leave you with this section of Scripture that came to mind while the guys were discussing wisdom and our human the tendancy to be overwhelmed by a sense of inadequancy (like becoming a parent for the first time) when God lifts us up into positions of leadership. Our hope for success does not depend on our abilities, charisma, experience, or lack there of, but rather on the saving work of God. We look to Him to glorify himself through us. It is God who prepares us and puts us into these opportunties for His glory.

David said, "The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine [Goliath]."
And [Goliath] cursed David by his gods... and said to David, "Come to me, and I will give your flesh to the birds of the air and to the beasts of the field."

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javeline, but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliever you into my hand, and I will strike you down and cut off your head. And I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel, and that all this assembly may know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear. For the battle is the LORDS's and he will give you into our hand."
(1 Samuel 17:37, 43-47)


- Paul
(P.S. David kicks Goliath's butt)

No comments: